We haven't had time to edit our photos, so you're getting ALL of our pics- good, bad and ugly.

If you'd like to download any of our photos, you should be able to get them from flickr.com You'll have to create an account though, if you don't have one already. (Let us know if that link does not take you directly to our photos)

Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Japanese People

The Japanese people have been very interesting. I just thought I would give you some quick observations.

Cleanliness
These must be the cleanest people on Earth. Everything is scrubbed spotless everyday. You could eat some noodles off the subway car floor. Our hotel room in Tokyo had a shared bathroom and the lady who cleaned it would use a toothbrush to get the grout on the floor.


Bikes on the sidewalk.
This drives me crazy. I found out the other day that they were supposed to drive these things on the rode, but they don't. You are just strolling along looking at a Budhist shrine, when you hear a ring ring behind you. Usually it is an eighty year old lady with a very shaky grip on the handl bars, weaving in and out of walkers. I told Sarah that if soneone hits me with their bike, I am going to punch them in the nose--unless it is an eighty year old lady, who I'd probably just help up.


Politeness
They are exceedingly polite. Always bowing, wishing you welcome, and thank you, and good luck, all the time. They have reserve seats on all trains and subways for the elderly, handicapped, pregnant women and women with babies.



Texting
This is a national obsession. You see everyone texting everywhere. At least they are not blabbing on the phones, but man, the sidewalks are very crowded and half the people are walking at a snail`s pace while they text their friends.

Teenage T-shirts
All of the teenagers have these tee-shirts written in English that don't make any sense.
some examples we have remembered: "I Love Pillows. Am I Evil?" "House Dust" "Sexy Right Sweet Mouse"

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That is all so bizzare to me! I heard that asians werent very clean- that they actaully pee in the street, and smell very bad, so very suprising to hear on the contrary.
I am glad they are so friendly to tourist though, that's awesome! Have you all had any language barriors?
I want one of those crazy english T shirts, everyone here would be like WTF!!!!
Have you all tried out riding bikes yet?